The G20 Summit is a significant event on the global stage, bringing together leaders from the world’s largest economies to discuss and collaborate on various pressing issues. When a city hosts such an event, it often leads to major disruptions and changes in daily life for its residents. In 2023, Delhi is set to host the G20 Summit, and this article aims to provide you with all the essential information regarding public holiday dates, what will be open, and what will be closed in the capital city during this significant event.
G20 Summit in Delhi: The Dates
The G20 Summit in Delhi is scheduled to take place from November 14th to November 15th, 2023. During this period, Delhi will see a series of changes and restrictions to ensure the safety and security of the visiting dignitaries and delegates.
Public Holiday Dates
To accommodate the summit and its related activities, the Delhi government has declared public holidays on November 14th and November 15th, 2023. These two days will be observed as public holidays across the city.
While public holidays often mean closures and disruptions, it’s important to note that not everything in Delhi will come to a standstill during the G20 Summit. Here’s what you can generally expect to remain open:
- Hospitals and Healthcare Services: Medical facilities, hospitals, and emergency services will continue to operate as usual. Health is a top priority, and these services will remain accessible 24/7.
- Transportation: Public transportation, including buses, the Delhi Metro, and taxis, is expected to run during the summit. However, there might be some deviations in routes and schedules due to security measures.
- Hotels and Restaurants: Delhi’s hotels and restaurants will remain open, catering to both tourists and locals. However, heightened security in certain areas might affect access to some establishments.
- Emergency Services: Police and fire departments will be fully operational to ensure safety and security in the city. In case of emergencies, you can dial 100 for immediate assistance.
- Essential Retail Stores: Grocery stores, pharmacies, and other essential retail outlets are likely to remain open. It’s advisable to stock up on necessities before the summit to avoid any inconvenience.
- Tourist Attractions: Most of Delhi’s tourist attractions, such as historical sites and museums, will be open to the public. However, check ahead for any specific closures or restrictions near the summit venues.
Several government offices, educational institutions, and businesses may remain closed or have reduced operations during the G20 Summit. Here’s what you can expect:
- Government Offices: Most government offices, including local administrative offices, may remain closed on the public holiday dates. Online services may still be available, but in-person visits might be restricted.
- Educational Institutions: Schools, colleges, and universities are likely to declare holidays during the G20 Summit. Students and teachers will have a break from their regular academic schedules.
- Banks: Banks may be closed on public holidays, so it’s advisable to complete any essential banking transactions in advance.
- Commercial Establishments: Non-essential businesses, shopping malls, and markets may experience reduced footfall due to security measures, and some might choose to remain closed.
- Traffic Restrictions: Due to the summit, there may be traffic diversions and road closures in certain areas of Delhi. Plan your travel accordingly and use alternative routes when necessary.
The G20 Summit in Delhi is a momentous event that will impact the daily lives of Delhi residents. While public holidays and certain closures are expected, essential services and amenities will still be available to ensure the well-being and convenience of the city’s inhabitants. Planning ahead and staying informed about specific restrictions in your area will help you navigate these temporary changes effectively and enjoy a safe and secure G20 Summit in Delhi.